Saturday, September 03, 2005

Picky?

Living in Texas the nearest big city to us, Beaumont, is getting a lot of the Hurricane Katrina victims. We only get 3 channels where I live so all that is on TV right now is about the hurricane and the devestation it has brought.

Several news casts have brought me to tears. The one of the 9 month pregnant woman going into labor in a sweltering car, stuck on a bridge with no medical care. The one with the woman walking, just walking with no idea of where to go or what to do caring her twins in one carrier trying to sheild them from the sun. The one with the babies mostly get to me, I guess because I have a baby myself.

We have gathered clothes that we can no longer wear to take to the shelter that most of the victims were taken to.

There was a news story on the local channel about a woman who gave birth in Beaumont. She was from New Orleans. She got here just in time, she went into premature labor. The baby and mom are fine. The mom said the baby's name is Destiny, her father named her right before he passed. The baby's father was killed in Iraq in May. I have done all I can to try to get information on how to get ahold of her. T and I would like to offer her a room at our house. No one can point me in the right direction.

I called Red Cross to ask about it and they told me that Social Services would have to approve the homes. She said once the victims go under care of them they have to place them. To me this seems rather picky. I could understand it if it was a child/ren we were wanting, but a grown person?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home